Remember waaaaaaaaay back in September of 2006 when I started that brown coin quilt? This weekend I finally finished it. Normally on Saturdays the last thing I want to do is spend another 8 hours in front of the sewing machine (hazards of sewing for a living) but I was feeling the need for an FO.
The quilt top had been finished for a while, so all that needed to be done was to baste the top to the backing and batting and quilt the darn thing. I chose the Heather Ross tadpoles for the back and some Warm & Natural cotton batting from the stash. I didn't bother to baste with fancypants pins or anything;the quilt wasn't that big to start with, so there was no need. I marked the quilting lines in chalk and was off to the races.
I usually machine sew the bindings to finish, but I've never really been satisfied with the end results. This time I sewed the bias strips on like I normally do (Heather Bailey has a great tutorial) and then handstitched the binding down on the bottom side. 100% better! I'm not much for the love of hand sewing, but this was more like mattress stitch in knitting. Invisible! Magic! (Thanks to Carolyn for pointing me in the right direction with the blind stitching.)
A quick trip through the washing machine to get the chalk lines off and she was done. Whew!
I've pulled all the photos from start to finish and put them all in a flickr set here. Whew! Done!